December 2012 301
I will always remember September 28, 2012, the day I walked out of prison a free man after 15 years on death row in Louisiana for a crime I did not commit. On that day I became the 300th person exonerated by DNA in the United States.
Hundreds of exonerees came before me and I know there are hundreds waiting to follow in my footsteps.
I’m writing today to ask you to donate to the Innocence Project and help free others like me.
A lot has changed in my life since that day in September. I’m 38 years old and through an online course, I’m learning how to type for the first time. I’m amazed to see all the information and resources instantly available on the internet.
Soon after I was released, I moved to my own apartment in Minneapolis with the help of the Innocence Project. I got my GED in just three weeks and I’m taking college prep classes so I can enroll in the local community college. I’m also proud to share that I will soon be employed doing office work at the law firm of my local counsel.
My life may not seem that exciting but for me it is extraordinary. In prison I was only allowed outside of my cell for one hour each day. I am enjoying the freedom now to lock and unlock the door to my apartment with my own keys, to be able to walk in and out as I please, to run errands, take the bus, go to school, and earn a living. I am very fortunate and grateful to have the support I need to make this transition and I look forward to the rest of my life as a free man.
Your support will truly make a difference and I hope you will help give others who were wrongfully convicted the same opportunity to be free.
Spread the Word
- Meet 22 People Exonerated in 2012 (theroot.com)
- Court frees man who sat on death row for 15 years thanks to DNA testing (rawstory.com)
- Innocence-Project goes to TV: Good Luck for Your Good Work! (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Louisiana death row inmate freed after 15 years – with a little help from DNA (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- DAMON THIBODEAUX: FREE! After 15 years in death row: freed due to DNA-Testing (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- DNA testing frees man who lived on death row for 15 years (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)
- DNA testing frees man who lived on death row for 15 years (rawstory.com)
- DNA testing frees man who lived on death row for 15 years (guardian.co.uk)
- DAMON THIBODEAUX: FREE! After 15 years in death row: freed due to DNA-Testing (incaseofinnocence.wordpress.com)
- Two US death row inmates win crucial victories (dailystar.com.lb)